¿Prefieres leer la versión en español? Clic aquí
Learning English implies a degree of determination. Many systems and methodologies offer to be flexible in schedule and content, but you still need to show up to class and you still need to do your part. Learning doesn’t just happen by accident. It can also be difficult knowing which kind of course to choose. Is it better to go to an institute and receiving group lessons? What about getting private lessons?
I have been teaching private lessons for about 15 years and I have seen how advantageous the private teaching system can be.
One of the objections that students have about taking private lessons is pricing. Private lessons are often more expensive than group classes if you look at a monthly fee. However, I think that we’re talking about value for money because private lessons can offer you better results for your investment.
Here are some of the many benefits:
- The teacher can focus on your very unique abilities, your strengths, and the areas you specifically need to work on.
- As a result of having your tutor focus on your strengths and unique style of learning, your English may improve faster than if you study in a group.
- You can participate in the choosing of lesson topics and subjects with your teacher, and study things that YOU find interesting.
- If you need English for a specific job or situation at work (Exam, presentation, Job Interview) your private teacher can focus on that area alone.
- You can ask the teacher for as much correction and explanations as you want without worrying about the other students in the class.
- You can go at your own pace – if it’s too fast or complicated, you can slow down! And if it is too easy, you can always have your teacher make the class for challenging.
- You can bring your own materials into class, like emails, projects you need to present, work documents and manuals. Your teacher can prepare tailor-made lessons for you using these materials.
- There are often fewer distractions in class, and private lessons are often more intensive. This makes the learning process faster and more effective.
- The rate of absenteeism is lower. How many times you’ve invested in a system that didn’t work for you? Most of methods and systems to learn English do work, but failing to consistently do it is what prevents the student from achieving goals. Since your private teacher goes to your office or home, you will be less likely to lose classes and therefore it will be more effective.
However, there is one disadvantage of having only private lessons, which is that you don’t get the chance to speak and practice your English with other people, and there is no group interaction. I thought about this when I realized some students would get used to speaking English only with their teacher, but not outside the class. On this recent post, I describe what I did to help my students overcome that challenge.
But in the end, whatever you decide to choose, make sure you make that decision now; it will be one of the best investments for your career and your future.
Looking for a great system of private lessons? Get more info here.